When you have a long commute or if you’re on a road trip, you know how your body can get stiff from all that prolonged sitting. Luckily, the good people at Temecula Hyundai know all about this, and they wanted a list of all the ways to make sure you stay healthy and limber while driving. While doing a little bit of research, I found that you can actually take advantage of Yoga while you drive! If you’re a native Californian, you know how much we love our Yoga classes, so this find was a gem. I made a short overview of some of the stretches and exercises I’ve done while stuck in traffic that’s come to a standstill. They’re also amazingly effective for keeping your temper in check when that huge truck cuts you off for the third time!
Believe it or not, this is a big one. “Harvard’s Mind Body Medical Institute found that simply focusing on your breath can lower blood pressure, release stress and create mental clarity.” This is the most effective technique, as well as the most important one, just in terms of keeping your cool.
This is one you use when you’re driving on the surface streets and get stuck at a stoplight. This one helps fight muscle fatigue as well as helping to tone your lower facial muscles. Here are the full directions as shown on drivetimeyoga.com:
• At a fresh red light, slowly turn as you exhale, looking over your right shoulder.
• Push out slightly through your chin.
• Keep the rest of your body facing forward and your hands rest, relaxed on the steering wheel.
• Hold for a few seconds and swing slowly to look over the left shoulder.
• If there’s time, do 10 repetitions slowly.
Here are the full directions as shown:
• Slowly squeeze in below your diaphragm (the muscle below your ribs)
• Hold for a 15 count and release slowly.
• Remember to keep breathing.
• Repeat 10 or so times a day to help keep your stomach muscles firm.
The tummy one is definitely my favorite. The older I get, the more I need to focus on tightening and toning my stomach muscles, for sure! I hope you found one (or all!) of these ideas for yoga in the car helpful. It can make your daily drive less stressful and keep you more limber. If you’re looking for a new Hyundai to make your daily commute better, stop by Temecula Hyundai today and try one out. The best part is that you can try out your new Yoga moves behind the wheel and they won’t think it’s strange at all! You should definitely give it a try.